Fatigue Survey Results Released
Fatigue described as “profound,” “debilitating,” and “preventing them from doing the simplest everyday tasks,” is a major issue for autoimmune disease (AD) patients, impacting nearly every aspect of their lives. It affects their mental and emotional well-being and their ability to work. And while most AD patients have discussed their fatigue with their physicians, many have not been prescribed treatment for their fatigue.
Major findings include:
● Almost all (98 percent) AD patients surveyed report they suffer from fatigue.
● Nine-in-10 (89 percent) say it is a “major issue” for them and six-in-10 (59 percent) say it is “probably
the most debilitating symptom of having an AD.”
● More than two-thirds (68 percent) say their “fatigue is anything but normal. It is profound and prevents [them] from doing the simplest everyday tasks.”
● While nearly nine-in-10 (87 percent) report they have discussed their fatigue with their doctor, six-in 10 (59 percent) say they have not been prescribed or suggested treatment by their doctors.
● Seven-in-10 (70 percent) believe others judge them negatively because of their fatigue.
● Three-quarters (75 percent) say their fatigue has impacted their ability to work; nearly four-in-10 (37 percent) say they are in financial distress because of it; one-in-five (21 percent) say it has caused them to lose their jobs; while the same number (21 percent) report they have filed for disability as a result of
● Fatigue impacts nearly every aspect of AD patients’ lives including overall quality of life (89 percent), career/ability to work (78 percent), romantic (78 percent), family (74 percent) and professional relationships (65 percent) and their self esteem (69 percent), among others.
[button title=”Click here to read the full press release” icon=”” icon_position=”” link=”https://autoimmune.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/FatigueSurvey.pdf” target=”_blank” color=”blue” font_color=”” size=”2″ full_width=”” class=”” download=”” onclick=””]
Join our email list
Receive the latest blog articles, news, and more right to your inbox!
Related articles you might be interested in
Teenage Advocate Empowers and Supports Other Teens
Make a Difference During Autoimmune Awareness Month
New Scorecard Highlights Access Barriers Faced by People Living with Autoimmune Diseases
How Can We Curb the Autoimmune Epidemic? New Paper Suggests a Path Forward
Find more resources on autoimmunity
Learn more about autoimmunity, diagnosis tips, how to find a physician, and more.